Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone. 2018 Gettinenglish.com - MEFUS SP. Z O.O.
Coca-Cola history started in 1886 when Dr. John S. Pemberton, a pharmacist from Atlanta, created the most iconic soft drink ever. His distinct formula for a flavoured syrup „was mixed with carbonated water and deemed excellent by those who sampled it.” This world’s best-selling sparkling beverage is universally recognisable and it is estimated that around 94% of the Earth’s inhabitants know the brand. There are so many myths and incredible stories around Coca-Cola that we have decided to do some research and ascertain the facts.
Jeżeli chcesz poćwiczyć czytanie po angielsku zachęcamy Ciebie gorąco do zapoznania się z bogatą ofertą opowiadań i kryminałów po angielsku, na każdym poziomie zaawansowania.
1. The name of Coca-Cola comes from its two ingredients: kola nuts and coca leaves. Until 1903, this soft drink contained a dose of cocaine! Of course, the company denies any presence of psychoactive elements of coca-leaf extract now and in the past. In the late 19th century it was believed that cocaine tonics could cure various ailments such as nausea, headache, constipation and even impotence!
2. Coca-Cola is not sold in two countries in the world – North Korea and Cuba. The latter one may soon enjoy the taste of Coke providing that the US federal government lifts the trade embargo. Due to a recent thaw in bilateral relations between the USA and Cuba establishing American presence once again on the island can be quite feasible.
3. It was Coca-Cola that helped to shape the image of Santa Claus! We can say that his trademark red suit is down to the company’s regular advertising. Since 1920s this rotund and jolly character that everyone loves has been at the heart of Coca-Cola posters.
4. Up to now three people have tried to sell Coca-Cola’s formula to Pepsi, but the biggest competitor notified the FBI and Coca-Cola of the incident. The secret ingredients still remain secret.
5. Did you know that Coca-Cola makes over 3,500 beverages (e.g. Fanta, Sprite, Cappy etc.)? It would take you around 9 years to try them all if you consumed one per day. Therefore, it will not surprise you that the brand is worth $74 billion. Can you even imagine such an amount of cash?
6. Apart from these brilliant facts, Coca-Cola can have very practical use. It is a potent insect repellent – a bowl of Coke placed away from you and your guests in the garden will keep unwanted vermin far from you. If various stains bother you, pour a few drops of Coca-Cola over the surface to enjoy clean textile and pots. It can dissolve dirt in your toilet, remove corrosion on a car battery in a flash whereas Diet Coke will help you get rid of permanent hair dye with ease.
Needless to say, we do not recommend you to drink Coca-Cola or any other soda drink every day. In case you did not know, it leads to calcium depletion, weight gain, dehydration and high-sugar intake. So remember that there are some pros and cons of consuming fizzy drinks and maybe you should select healthy alternatives such as mineral water and 100% juices.
carbonated / soda water – woda gazowana
deem – uznać coś / kogoś za
ascertain – upewnić się
ailment – dolegliwość
nausea – nudności, mdłości
constipation – zaparcie
latter – ten drugi, ten ostatni
providing that – pod warunkiem, że
lift the trade embargo – znosić embargo na handel
thaw – ocieplenie stosunków
bilateral – obustronnyfeasible – prawdopodobny, możliwy
rotund – pulchny
jolly – radosny
notify – zawiadamiać
insect repellent – środek odstraszający owady
vermin – robactwo
dissolve – rozpuszczać
in a flash – w mig
hair dye – farba do włosów
depletion – zmniejszenie, uszczuplenie
dehydration – odwodnienie
intake – spożycie