Sydney is the oldest and largest city of Australia. The official population is over 4 million and every year nearly 8 million tourists visit this wonderful place. Sydney offers a wide range of attractions from Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge to sandy beaches and stunning shopping centres.
The first British settlers came to Australia in 1788 with Captain Arthur Philips and soon a penal colony was founded in Sydney. A century later it started to develop very quickly. Nowadays it’s one of the most important concentrations of multinational companies and banks. The residents of the city are called Sydneysiders and 1/3 of them speak a langauge other than English. It’s definitely one of the most multicultural cities in the world.
Jeżeli chcesz poćwiczyć czytanie po angielsku zachęcamy Ciebie gorąco do zapoznania się z bogatą ofertą opowiadań i kryminałów po angielsku, na każdym poziomie zaawansowania.
A few facts about Sydney which you may not know:
- Sydney isn’t the capital of Australia. The home of the federal government is Canberra.
- The Sydney Opera, which is the most famous icon of the city, cost $102 million! It took 14 years to construct this amazing building with the help of 10,000 construction workers.
- If you want to have the best view of Sydney, visit Sydney Tower Eye which can take you to the highest point above the city. You will stand 250 metres above sea level.
- The Harbour Bridge is often called „The Coat Hanger” because of its shape.
- Cricket is the most popular summer sport in the capital. What’s interesting, Sydney will host the 2015 Cricket World Cup.
- Sydney Harbour was the set for „Finding Nemo”.
- The city has over 100 clear days annually. The hottest months are January / February and the coolest ones are June or July.
- The most well-known place to swim and sunbathe in Sydney is Bondi Beach. It’s an Aboriginal word meaning – noise of water breaking over rocks.
- The Aussies and tourists love visiting The Royal Botanic Gardens which are open every day and admission is free.
- Sydney Aquarium is the largest collection of Australian aquatic life. There are over 12,000 animals to see.
sandy – piaszczysty
stunning – zachwycający
settler – osadnik, kolonista
penal colony – kolonia karna
found – założyć
century – stulecie, wiek
develop – rozwijać
resident – mieszkaniec
government – rząd
view – widok
tower – wieża
coat hanger – wieszak
host – być gospodarzem
set – plan (np. filmowy)
Aussie – Australijczyk (slang)
royal – królewski
admission – wstęp (np. do muzeum)
CZEGO MOŻESZ SIĘ JESZCZE NAUCZYĆ?
W tym artykule zastosowaliśmy różne przykłady przymiotników w stopniu najwyższym. Poświęć jeszcze 15 minut na intensywną naukę gramatyki z Gettin’ English.